Russian girl, 15, is electrocuted by her phone charger in the bath
10th December 2018

Russian girl, 15, is electrocuted by her phone charger after plugging it in while she was in the bath

  •  Irina Rybnikova, 15, was killed when her charging iPhone fell into the bath
  •  The young sports star recently won the all-Russian championship in pankration
  •  Two months ago she won the all-Russian championship in the sport and was selected to fight for Russia in the form of ‘no rules’ boxing and wrestling

A teenage sports champion has died after accidentally dropping her phone in the bath and electrocuting herself.   

Fifteen-year-old Russian martial arts champion, Irina Rybnikova, died in the tragic accident on Saturday, according to reports from the country.  

Relatives said she had plugged in a charger for her iPhone at her home in the Siberian industrial city of Bratsk, and it had fallen in.  

She was found dead in the bath by relatives.

Irina Rybnikova, young pankration champion who was recently picked to represent Russia, died in Bratsk

Irina Rybnikova, 15, was charging her iPhone when it slipped into the water and electrocuted her

The tragic teenager was a champion fighter in pankration which literally means ‘all force’ – a form of ‘no rules’ boxing and wrestling originating in ancient Greece.

She won the all-Russian championship two months ago and had been selected for her country’s national team.

‘She was dreaming of becoming a world champion,’ said a friend.

Her sister Tatiana, 25, told Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper: ‘In August she became the godmother to my little daughter.

‘My child adored her and called her ‘nanny’.

‘And now she is not with us anymore.

‘Our hearts are broken.

‘It is so quiet and feels empty at home without her.’ 

Miss Rybnikova was a popular teenager who had just become the godmother to a young girl

  • Tragedy as female pilot, 30, is killed after crashing in bad…

    Callum’s last dance: Reveller, 19, who died from a suspected…

    Family of Iraq War veteran, 29, who took his own life after…

    Tragedy as couple who had just started dating are found dead…

Share this article

Miss Rybnikova was selected to represent the Russian national Pankration team. Pictured with her team mates

A friend of the popular teenager said: ‘She was a great person, the best and the most loved.

‘She always dreamed of success in sports.

‘We wanted to go together with her to another city and study there.

‘Everybody loved her, she was sociable, kind and beautiful’.

Yury Agrafonov, the head of radio-electronic department of Irkutsk State University, said: ‘Water is a good conductor for a current, this is why there was a short circuit when the phone fell into the water.

The young fighter dreamed of becoming a world famous Pankration champion 

‘If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened.’

Her sports federation issued a statement saying: ‘A tragic accident has taken the life of our champion, friend, mate and student Irina Rybnikova, 15.

‘She was a candidate for Master of Sports in pankration, our beloved girl. Rest in peace’.

Russian safety officials have previously warned about the acute dangers from using mobile phone chargers in bathrooms. 

Source: Read Full Article