PRINCE William has today hailed "extraordinary" Philip – saying his children will miss their "mischievous" great-grandfather.
The Duke of Cambridge shared a sweet photograph of his son George with Prince Philip – snapped by Kate Middleton – thanking his grandfather for his " infectious sense of adventure".
🔵 Read our live blog for the very latest news on Prince Philip's death…
The Duke of Cambridge this afternoon shared a touching snap taken of his son George, then aged two, alongside Prince Philip, taken in Norfolk in 2015.
Prince Philip passed away at Windsor Castle on Friday aged 99 – sparking an outpouring of grief.
In the emotional statement, William, 38, said he was thankful for Philip guiding him "good times and the hardest days".
He added: "I know he would want us to get on with the job."
Wills said: “My grandfather’s century of life was defined by service – to his country and Commonwealth, to his wife and Queen, and to our family.
"I feel lucky to have not just had his example to guide me, but his enduring presence well into my own adult life – both through good times and the hardest days.
"I will always be grateful that my wife had so many years to get to know my grandfather and for the kindness he showed her.
My grandfather was an extraordinary man and part of an extraordinary generation
"I will never take for granted the special memories my children will always have of their great-grandpa coming to collect them in his carriage and seeing for themselves his infectious sense of adventure as well as his mischievous sense of humour!
"My grandfather was an extraordinary man and part of an extraordinary generation.
"Catherine and I will continue to do what he would have wanted and will support The Queen in the years ahead. I will miss my Grandpa, but I know he would want us to get on with the job."
On Friday, the couple paid tribute by updating their website with a large black and white portrait of Prince Philip.
The touching snap shows the duke smiling widely at the camera, dressed formally in a suit.
On Saturday, Prince William pulled out of his Bafta speech in a sign of respect after the death of Prince Philip.
It comes as:
- Philip’s funeral will be broadcast to the nation on TV next Saturday, with Charles leading a procession to the chapel at Windsor Castle
- The Duke of Edinburgh told son Charles he must 'lead the family and look after the Queen' in hospital heart-to-heart
- Boris Johnson will not attend the funeral to allow more space for the Royal Family
- Mourners flock to Buckingham Palace – but officials remove tributes in a bid to keep crowds under control
- The Queen was 'by her husband's side' as he died – and Philip spent his final days enjoying the sunshine
Tributes have flooded in to remember the Duke of Edinburgh since he passed away “peacefully” at Windsor Castle on Friday.
Prince Andrew, 61, yesterday said the Queen had been left with a “huge void” after his death as he remembered the Duke as the “grandfather of the nation”.
The prince said the 94-year-old monarch had described her husband's passing as a "miracle".
He said: "She described it as having left a huge void in her life, but we the family – the ones that are closer – are rallying round to make sure we're there."
And he told reporters he would always treasure his memories of his father, describing him as "so calm" and "always someone you can go to".
Andrew, speaking publicly for the first time since his Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis in 2019, said the death of his father was a "terrible loss".
"My father said to me on the telephone a few months ago, 'We're all in the same boat', and we must always remember that," he said.
Meanwhile Sophie Wessex, who was tearful as she said the Queen had been "amazing", also looked emotional yesterday.
Remembering the Duke of Edinburgh, she said: "He always exchanged words with everybody because it didn't matter what anybody was doing in and around the estate here (at Windsor) and everywhere else, they all meant a lot to him and he always took a very personal interest in everything that they were doing.
"So they all have got stories to tell and most of them are quite funny as well."
Her husband Prince Edward, who attended the church with the small group of Royals, said: "It's a bit of a shock.
"However much one tries to prepare oneself for something like this, it's still dreadful shock, and we're trying to come to terms with that.
"It's very, very sad."
Meanwhile, Prince Harry made the 5,400-mile journey back to the UK yesterday to make sure he could attend his grandad Philip’s funeral.
The Duke of Sussex was seen getting off a British Airways flight from Los Angeles that arrived at Heathrow at 1.15pm.
Sources close to the couple said Meghan, 39, wanted to join her husband but was advised against travelling by her doctor as she is pregnant with their second child.
This is the first time Harry has been in the UK since last March — and comes as the Royal Family ordered a truce over the contents of his explosive Oprah Winfrey interview to focus on honouring Prince Philip.
The Queen has declared a two-week royal mourning period.
An insider said: “Family conversations now will be on the passing of Prince Philip — and nothing else.
“The Queen has declared royal mourning for two weeks so it’s quite clear that is the focus."
Source: Read Full Article