Nora Quoirin's family sent ransom email demanding Bitcoin after their daughter vanished in Malaysia
22nd October 2020

NORA Quoirin’s family received a ransom email from a sick “scammer” demanding Bitcoin after their teenage daughter disappeared in Malaysia.

The inquest into the death of the 15-year-old started two months ago but has resumed after a witness came into contact with a Covid-19 patient.

Nora’s family had gone to stay in an eco-resort in the Malaysian rain forest for a “trip of a lifetime” on August 3.

But Nora, who suffered from a brain development disorder, was reported missing just hours after they had arrived at the resort about 40 miles south of the capital Kuala Lumpur.

Her naked body was discovered 10 days later near a river by a group of civilian volunteers in palm-oil planation about one-and-a-half miles from the family’s holiday villa.

Police in Malaysia say she died of internal bleeding and starvation after climbing out of a window in the villa.

Her parents maintain that Nora, who had severe learning disabilities, would not have gone anywhere on her own.

The ransom demand was emailed to the family from an account which was later deactivated, a senior police investigator told the inquest.

Investigating officer Deputy Superintendent Hazizi Abd Samad said: “Based on my assumption and experience, if an email address no longer exists it would mean that the email creator made the decision to erase it.


“Such behaviour in many cybercrime-related cases, is attributable to frauds run by scammers.”

The email, sent on August 7, demanded a ransom of two Bitcoin, worth around £4,200, four days after Nora vanished.

The message was sent to the Lucie Blackman Trust, a charity and support group who have been helping the family.

It was later claimed the email was from Virginia, US.

A water treatment plant operator also told the Coroner’s Court he had seen a glimpse of a Caucasian girl bathing in a river the day Nora went missing.

Muhammad Kamarudin, said on the evening of August 4, he had been on his way to work for his evening shift.

“As I was heading towards my workplace on my motorcycle around 7pm that day, I saw a lone Caucasian girl bathing by the river to the right side of the road from an elevated position,” he told Coroner Maimoonah Aid.

But he added it was not unusual to see people bathing in the river.


The inquest also heard how a Siamese monk had helped work out where the Irish teenager could be.

Search and rescue volunteer, Chong Yue Fatt, said: “I heard from Chan (their group leader) that he had contacted a Siamese monk and the monk instructed him to look for the girl near areas with a river.

“After two days of searching, Chank still hadn't found anything but passed a river on his way back, which is why we returned to the area on the third day.

“There was also a makeshift hut about 50 metres from the body and the surrounding area was dense with vegetation.”

He then alerted the group who had to go to the authorities directly as the phone coverage was poor, reports the Malay Mail.

They had to wait up to two hours before the authorities arrived to recover Nora's remains.

Previously the inquest had heard how sniffer dogs had tracked Nora’s scent to an abandoned fishing hut in the jungle.

Fadzil bin Arshad, the search operations supervisor of the Fire and Rescue Department, said his team joined the search on August 5, the day after Nora disappeared.

"We had two canine tracker handlers and a Labrador and a Border Collie to lead our efforts," he said.

Source: Read Full Article