FRANCE is “at war against an enemy within” and there will likely “be more attacks”, its interior minister said today.
Tunisian migrant, Brahim Aoussaoui launched a bloody attack outside Notre Dame church in Nice on Thursday killing three people.
Speaking to French radio station RTL earlier today Gérald Darmanin said: “We are in a war against an enemy that is both inside and outside.
“We need to understand that there have been and there will be other events such as these terrible attacks.”
It is reported that Aoussaoui shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is Greatest) before beheading one woman and killing two others in a Roman Catholic church on Thursday morning before being shot by police.
Despite being hit 14 times, the attacker survived and is now under armed guard in a secure hospital wing.
The triple murder is the latest in a long line of terror arracks in France in recent years including the recent beheading of a teacher for showing the Charlie Hebdo cartoon of Mohammad and the 2015 attack on the magazine’s office.
Following the latest terror attack, French politicians have lined up to demand tougher action against Islamist terrorism.
The mayor of Nice Christian Estrosi said that that “enough is enough… it's time now for France to exonerate itself from the laws of peace in order to definitively wipe out Islamo-fascism from our country”.
Prime minister Jean Castex said France's alert level had been raised to its highest "attack emergency" setting after Thursday's violence.
Speaking in parliament yesterday Castex said the Nice attack was “as cowardly as it is barbaric”.
Mayor of Cannes, David Lisnard, called for a “fierce and cold determination to eradicate this plague” after an “abominable Islamist attack”.
He added: “The action against Islamist fanaticism must be methodical, flawless, adamant, relentless.
“More than ever, we must defend France and our values, and also our civilisation. Because the fight is civilisational.”
Macron denounced the Nice bloodbath as an "Islamic terror attack" and defiantly said the nation would not "give up on our values".
The president announced up to 7,000 soldiers will be deployed to the streets across France in the wake of the violence to protect landmarks, schools and places of worships.
It comes amid heightened security fears in France due to an ongoing row over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed published by satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
And the two attacks have also happened as Muslims celebrate the holy day Mawlid, which marks the birth of Mohammed.
Samuel Paty, 47, was beheaded by 18-year-old Abdullah Anzorov on October 17 after using the cartoons to teach his students about the importance of free speech.
Nice previously suffered at the hands of terrorists in July 2016, when 86 people were killed in the city when a terrorist rammed a 19-tonne cargo truck through crowds on Bastille Day.
Source: Read Full Article