NHS trust writes to nearly 400 women after patients ‘suffered unnecessary harm’ at hands of former hospital gynaecologist
- Daniel Hay is being investigated for causing ‘unnecessary harm’ in Derbyshire
- A further 110 women were approached by the NHS today, bringing total to 382
- The initial review in 2018 led to an inquiry into the treatment of 193 patients
An NHS Trust has written to nearly 400 women after reports of patients suffering ‘unnecessary harm’ at the hands of a former hospital gynaecologist.
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust (UHDB) said a further 110 women had been contacted following concerns raised about ex-consultant Daniel Hay, 55, by colleagues.
The initial review, launched in 2018, led to an inquiry into the treatment of 193 patients by April this year, before a further 79 women were approached in September, bringing the total to 272.
The trust said another 110 letters were sent to patients on Friday, meaning 382 women have now been contacted.
An NHS Trust has written to nearly 400 women after reports of patients suffering ‘unnecessary harm’ at the hands of Daniel Hay, 55
Mr Hay has since left the trust and has performed no operations since 2018.
He had previously confirmed that he was under investigation but denied intending to cause the women harm in September.
The former surgeon told The Times he had suffered from mental health problems and left work as a result.
He said: ‘It’s one of those things that happened and I had to stop work. I’ve had very good support from the hospital. I’m very grateful for it.
‘It’s one of those things that once you are aware, that is really it. So I made the decision to stop. I’m retired now. I’m retired completely. No clinical work.’
Dr Magnus Harrison, UHDB’s executive medical director, apologised in April ‘to any patients who may have received a standard of care that is below that expected’ – adding that the trust took ‘immediate action’ as soon as concerns were raised.
The trust said the latest additions to the review were those who had had an outpatient appointment but not a surgical intervention between April 2017 and July 2018 at Ripley Hospital in Derbyshire.
Speaking after another 110 women had been contacted, he said: ‘We have widened the review to a specific outpatient clinic that took place at Ripley Hospital to understand the care being provided there.
Former colleagues at Royal Derby Hospital (pictured) raised concerns about the consultant, who carried out major surgeries on women including hysterectomies and removing ovaries, between 2015 and 2018
‘As with the review of intermediate surgery, such as a diagnostic test, in September we are doing this proactively, rather than in response to any specific concerns, so that the review is as thorough as possible.
‘Each of the women have been informed that there are no concerns regarding their current health.’
Commenting on the review, Tim Annett, expert medical negligence lawyer at Irwin Mitchell who represents women affected by gynaecology care, said: ‘There was already a great deal of concern amongst women about the care they had received, so today’s latest development is likely to add to that concern.
‘While it’s likely that many more women will now be nervous and have questions, we welcome the trust’s pledge to undertake the most thorough review possible.
‘Through our work we often see the pain and anguish women and their families have to endure following issues in their care.
‘It’s now vital that women receive the care and support they may need to get through this difficult time.
‘If during the course of investigations any failings are identified it’s imperative lessons are learned, and if appropriate, new procedures are put in place to improve patient safety.’
Source: Read Full Article