President Trump’s former lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, considered seeking a presidential pardon last year, it was revealed Wednesday.
Cohen’s attorney, Lanny Davis, told The Post that his client did entertain the possibility of a pardon as part of a joint defense agreement Cohen had with the president after Cohen’s Manhattan office was raided in April 2018.
“During that time period, he directed his attorney to explore possibilities of a pardon at one point with Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani, as well as other lawyers advising President Trump,” Davis said in a statement.
The discussion of a pardon was broached by Cohen’s lawyer at the time, Stephen Ryan, who spoke with Trump’s attorneys in the months after the raid.
The joint defense agreement, which allowed lawyers for Trump and Cohen to share information, ended in July 2018.
The revelation about Cohen appears to conflict with his statement to the House Oversight Committee last week.
“I have never asked for, nor would I accept, a pardon from Mr. Trump,” Cohen told the committee.
Davis maintained that the pardon was “dangled” by Trump’s team and that Cohen’s statement to the committee was truthful.
“After July 2, 2018, Mr. Cohen authorized me as a new lawyer to say publicly Mr. Cohen would never accept a pardon from President Trump even if offered. That continues to be the case,” Davis said Wednesday.
“His statement at the Oversight Hearing was true — and consistent with his post-joint defense agreement commitment to tell the truth.”
Giuliani told The Post that several lawyers who have clients involved in the Justice Department probes have approached the president looking for pardons.
But the former mayor insisted the option was never on the table.
“No one is getting a pardon,” Giuliani said. “It’s all bullsh-t.”
Meanwhile, Cohen on Wednesday handed over to the Oversight Committee documents that purportedly show changes made by the White House to a statement he delivered to Congress last year about the Trump Tower project in Moscow.
Source: Read Full Article