Harvey Weinstein will undergo surgery for back injury from a ‘car accident in August’ as his lawyers say they are ‘dismayed’ by the claims he faked frailness in court to win sympathy
- Weinstein hobbled into court on Friday and used a cane whilst inside
- The 67-year-old was then helped down stairs by two male aides
- His attorney said afterwards the case had taken a toll on his health
- On Tuesday, she revealed he was due to undergo surgery next week
- She also said she was ‘dismayed’ by the suggestion he had faked his ailing health to garner sympathy
Harvey Weinstein will undergo surgery next week, his lawyers have revealed, to repair a back injury he suffered in a car accident in August.
Last week, the 67-year-old hobbled into court for a bail hearing looking distinctly more frail and unsteady on his feet than in months past.
On Tuesday, his attorneys told Court TV that they were ‘dismayed’ by the suggestion that his fragility might have been an act and said it the media had ‘incorrectly stated’ as much.
‘I was dismayed to see all the press coverage incorrectly stating that Mr. Weinstein was trying to garner sympathy at his court appearance last week.
Weinstein was aided down the steps of the courthouse on Friday afternoon. His appearance was a marked difference than in recent hearings
Weinstein walked with a cane inside the courthouse last week and was held up by an aide. His lawyer now says it was down to a back injury that he is getting surgery for
‘Mr. Weinstein was in a serious car accident in August, which resulted in a concussion and has now necessitated the need for back surgery later this week.
‘He has been using a walker to assist him as the back pain has increased. He wanted to leave the walker in the car, so it did not appear that was he looking for sympathy, as he is not.
‘The press surrounding his physical condition is mean spirited and false,’ his attorney, Donna Rotunno said.
After his court appearance last week, she brought up his health.
It was later reported that he was suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
Weinstein will go to trial in January on five sexual assault charges.
Weinstein’s attorney Donna Rotunno spoke outside court on Friday and said the case had taken a toll on his health, telling reporters: ‘You can see’
He was in court on Friday for a bail hearing in light of a New York law change which will take effect next year which eliminates cash bail for nonviolent crimes to make it easier for poorer defendants to await trial at home as opposed to in custody.
It has little bearing on his case but he was required to go before the judge. A final decision on whether to keep his $1million bond the same will be made on Wednesday.
Prosecutors pushed for tighter conditions, asking for a $5million cash bond and claiming that he had violated his bail conditions by going unaccounted for for hours at home.
His attorneys said he had only ever once left his home without a part of his ankle monitor which keeps it activated and that he notified them straight away.
‘The minute he realized he forgot it, he made a phone call,’ Donna Rotunno said.
She later emphasized outside court: ‘The monitor is on his ankle at all times.’
Weinstein will go to trial in New York in January on five counts; first degree rape, third degree rape, criminal sexual act and two counts of predatory sexual assault.
The charges relate to two incidents involving two women; one who says she was raped by him in March 2013 and one who says he forced her into performing oral sex on him in 2006.
He has repeatedly tried to have the case against him thrown out.
Weinstein on Friday (left) and (right) in 2017, before the scandal. His attorneys said on Friday it had taken a visible toll on his health
Source: Read Full Article