First picture of OAP 77, who died while calling police as burglars raided her home
6th December 2018

Maureen Whale, 77, collapsed as she frantically told the operator how the thieves scaled her garden fence before smashing their way though a side door.

Cops and paramedics rushed to the scene but she passed away in hospital the following morning.

One the teenagers scaled Maureen Whale's side fence and opened the gate to let two other youngsters in, before smashing through a side door.

Last night neighbours paid tribute to "lovely" Maureen, who lived alone in the Barnet house where she grew up.

Micheal Murphy, 55, said: "Maureen was born in that house and she wouldn't say boo to a goose – she was a really quiet, lovely lady.

CCTV shows the brazen boys get spooked when a neighbour turned a light on, prompting the louts to sprint out of the property.

It has now emerged the boys had targeted two properties opposite Maureen’s and they eventually strolled away after fleeing the scene.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “The victim called police after two suspects had forced entry to the premises and had stolen property.

“While on the telephone to the police operator, the woman collapsed. Police and London Ambulance Service attended – emergency CPR was given by attending officers.

“The 77-year-old woman was taken to a north London hospital in a critical condition.

"She died on the morning of Wednesday, December 5."

Neighbour Michael Murphy, 55, said "lovely" Maureen lived on her own and was obsessed with gardening and loved looking after her roses.

Michael is also convinced two boys, believed to be aged between 12 and 14, were keeping a lookout on bikes as the three boys entered Maureen’s home.

More CCTV footage shows the youngsters slowly riding their bikes outside the house.

Plain-clothed officers were then seen sprinting out of the vehicle to rush to Maureen’s property.

Neighbours said Maureen has lived in the property her whole life and would often leave her back door open.

Michael told The Sun Online: “I came home at 6pm and turned my light on and it must’ve spooked the three boys at Maureen’s.

“I saw two other boys, who were younger, riding bikes and I believe they were keeping a lookout.

“The CCTV is chilling. One of the boys was wearing gloves and it looks like one of them was wearing a balaclava.”

The suspects, in their 20s, were thought to be behind four local breaks-in that evening.

Melvyn Eyres, 67, whose home was targeted, revealed: “Maureen had breathing problems.”

ELDERLY UNDER ATTACK: Police continue investigation into OAP death after burglary

POLICE are continuing to investigate the tragic death of an elderly man who died after being battered by thieves at his home.

Peter Gouldstone, 98, suffered fatal injuries after being dragged from his home of more than 60 years in Arnos Grove, North London.

Burglars ransacked his home but escaped with just a few personal possessions and a black Panasonic TV.

The dad of two was found the next morning by his son Simon, 67.

He and sister Jane, 60, kept a vigil by his hospital bedside before Peter died on Friday.

The attack caused outrage and prompted The Sun to set up a JustGiving ap­peal.

So far, no arrests have been made.

He added: “It’s terrible what has happened.

“She had paid her debt to society but these little toe-rags decided to rob her home.

“She loved pruning her roses and was always well dressed."

DCI Noel McHugh from the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “Our focus now is catching the culprits behind this burglary which has contributed to the death of an elderly woman.

“We are doing everything we can to build a clear picture of this incident."

Anyone with information can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Source: Read Full Article