Dad, 41, admits slitting throat of his two young children in lockdown
7th November 2020

A DAD has today admitted slitting the throats of his two young children during lockdown.

Three-year-old Nigish Nithiyakuma and 19-month-old Pavinya Nithiyakumar were found dead at their home in Ilford, East London.

The children's mother Nisa was in the shower at the time of the knife attack in April and alerted police.

Horrified neighbours heard "tortured" screams coming from the house as Nisa shouted: "Help me".

Dad Nadarajah Nithiyakumar, 41, today pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility at the Old Bailey.

He had been charged with murder after receiving treatment for knife wounds.

His plea was accepted by the prosecution.


The court was told shop worker Nithiyakumar was depressed and had been "upset" by his customers.

He told police he thought about killing himself but believed it would "ruin the children's lives and they would go off the rails".

Instead, he cut the throats of both his kids then turned the knife on himself.

Pavinya was pronounced dead at the scene at 5.53pm and Nigish was rushed to Royal London Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 7.42pm.

Nithiyakumar was arrested on April 29 while receiving treatment and charged with murder after he was discharged from hospital.


Speaking at the time, neighbour Reshna Begum, said she heard screaming coming from the house.

"She said: "I knew something horrible must have happened, it went on for about 10 minutes."

Ms Begum said she later saw medics carrying a "little body" in a bag outside.

She added: "My heart just sank, it's devastating, horrific. From a mother's perspective I'm still shaken from it, I can't imagine what she feels at the moment."

Another local, retired builder Thomas Dodds, 78, also told of his horror at the deaths.

Mr Dodds said: "I could tell something awful had happened from the high-pitched screaming.

"There was lots of screaming and panicking and then it just stopped."

Source: Read Full Article