Care worker, 19, temporarily BLINDED when an egg exploded in her face
30th December 2018

Care worker, 19, is temporarily BLINDED when an egg she was cooking in the microwave exploded in her face

  • Courtney Wood, 19, was left in excruciating pain as her skin began to blister
  • Miss Wood took the egg out of the microwave and left the jug out on the side
  • When she turned back to the jug it exploded in her face and blinded her 

Courtney Wood, 19, was left in excruciating pain after an egg exploded in her face

A care worker was temporarily blinded when an egg she was cooking in the microwave exploded in her face, while she was making breakfast on Boxing Day.

Courtney Wood, 19, was left in excruciating pain as her skin began to blister from the heat almost immediately and she still hasn’t recovered her sight in her left eye.

Miss Wood now wants to warn others of the potential dangers and said that would hate anyone else to go through what she recently suffered.

The teenager, who is a care assistant from Newcastle, said that the egg exploded after she popped it in the microwave in a jug with a bit of water for a minute.

She said: ‘The microwave didn’t ping so I took the egg back out, popped it on the side and checked on the bacon. When I turned back towards the jug the egg exploded in my face.’


The care worker (pictured before left) was temporarily blinded by the explosion and still hasn’t recovered her sight in her left eye

Miss Wood, who lives by herself, said that she began screaming in pain and ran towards the bathroom so that she could splash cold water on her burning face.


  • Major new maternity package ‘will make the NHS the best…


    ‘Vast majority’ of bacon contains cancer-causing chemicals,…

Share this article

After calling a friend who rushed round, he called 111 who insisted that she went straight to A&E, where she was prescribed morphine and applied a wet gauze.

Miss Wood was told that her burns were superficial and fortunately wouldn’t cause any permanent scaring to her face. 

Miss Wood now wants to warn others of the potential dangers and said she doesn’t want anyone to suffer what she has been through

However the eruption had scratched the surface of both of her corneas and left eye was much more damaged than her right one.   

She said: ‘The sight in my right eye came back within 48 hours but I still can’t see properly out of my left,’ said Courtney who stayed with her mum Tracy for a couple of days after the accident.

‘I have eye drops and steroids and I have to go back to the eye clinic every day until my eyes have healed. Doctors have told me the sight in my left eye may not be restored for a week or maybe even longer.


The teenager, who is a care assistant from Newcastle, said that the egg exploded after she popped it in the microwave in a jug with a bit of water for a minute

‘This was the worst pain I have ever suffered – it was horrific – and I would hate anyone else to have to go through what I have been through.’

It is important to be cautious when boiling eggs in the microwave as the microwave eggs the egg so quickly that pressure builds up and bursts through the shell, according to Saunders Egg’s.

In order to avoid this you can puncture the shell to release steam but it is sometimes best to avoid it altogether and opt to boil it in a pan.

The same goes for cooking a poached egg in the microwave, it is recommended to piece the yoke in an unbeaten egg for the same reason.  

Miss Wood, who lives by herself, said that she began screaming in pain and ran towards the bathroom so that she could splash cold water on her burning face

Source: Read Full Article