'British' woman, 67, dies after being stung by a wasp in Costa Blanca
9th May 2022

‘British’ woman, 67, dies after being stung by a wasp in Spanish restaurant and going into anaphylactic shock

  • A woman, 67, thought to be British has died after being stung by a wasp in Spain
  • She is said to have suffered anaphylactic shock from venom in a Moraira eatery
  • Paramedics tried to save her by performing CPR, but she died at the scene

A ‘British’ woman has died after being stung by a wasp in a Costa Blanca restaurant.

The 67-year-old is said to have suffered anaphylactic shock in the incident at the Hill Top gastro pub in Moraira, in the municipality of Teulada-Moraira — north of holiday resort Benidorm.

Paramedics tried to save her by performing CPR, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Local press are reporting she was a British national who lived in the area and was with family and friends at the time.

The 67-year-old is said to have suffered anaphylactic shock in the incident at an eatery in Moraira. Pictured, Spanish press have pictured Hill Top Gastro Pub in relation to the woman’s death

The tragedy happened around 2pm this afternoon.

A British woman who answered the phone at the sports bar and grill identified locally as the place where it had occurred said this evening: ‘I’m sorry but we’re not allowed to say anything.’

The most severe reactions to wasp stings are referred to as anaphylaxis. It occurs when the body goes into shock in response to wasp venom.

A spokeswoman for a regional government-run emergency coordination centre confirmed the woman had died after going into anaphylactic shock due to a wasp sting.

She said: ‘The alarm was raised around 2pm local time. The woman who died had been inside the bar-restaurant where the tragedy occurred.

‘She was stung and suffered a severe reaction to the venom in the sting. She went into anaphylactic shock and died at the scene.’

The eatery where the tragedy occurred is understood to be in an area of Moraira, part of the municipality of Teulada-Moraira, called La Sabatera.

Paramedics were called out to the eatery and tried to save her by performing CPR, but she was pronounced dead at the scene

It is believed to have opened again recently under new management after a period of closure.  

A Sunday cyclist died in a freak accident in Spain last April after swallowing a bee while out on a bike ride with friends.

Local reports at the time said the 59-year-old went into cardiac arrest after the insect stung him in the throat and he suffered an allergic reaction to the poison in the sting.

He was on the CV-505 running between the towns of Algamesi and Albalat, around an hour’s drive north of Teulada-Moraira, in the neighbouring province of Valencia.

Police could not be immediately reached this evening to confirm reports the woman at the centre of the latest tragedy was British.

Source: Read Full Article