Tragedy as ‘smiling’ baby girl drowned in bathtub after plastic toy got stuck over the plug hole while her mother left the room, inquest hears
- Sara Moosa, just 10 months, drowned in a bathtub after a plastic toy got stuck
- An inquest heard how her mum left the tap on without the plug hole covered
A baby girl tragically drowned in the bathtub after a plastic toy got stuck over the plug hole, an inquest has heard.
Sara Moosa, just 10 months, was bathing with her twin brothers when the horror death took place.
An inquest at Leicester Town Hall heard how her mother had left the tap running without the plug hole covered when she left the room to fetch a toy for one of her sons.
When she returned, she discovered that the hole had been filled by a toy, and her baby lying face down in five inches of water.
Paramedics attended to the home and took the tot to the hospital, but sadly Sara could not be saved and was pronounced dead at Leicester Royal Infirmary on August 14 last year
Sara Moosa, just at 10-month’s-old, drowned in five inches of water, when a plastic toy got stuck, causing the water in the tub to fill. [File image]
Tragically, the tot was pronounced dead at Leicester Royal Infirmary on August 14 last year.
In a statement from the family to the inquest, Sara was described as a ‘smiling and happy’ little girl.
A post mortem examination was carried out and it was concluded she had died from drowning.
In summarising what happened, coroner Isobel Thistlethwaite said: ‘Sara and her two siblings were in the bath with the water running but no plug in.
‘One sibling requested a toy. The mother returned and she noticed another toy had blocked the plug hole. The two siblings were standing up and Sara was on her side, under the water.’
Following the incident, the family frantically called 999 and, and adhered to the instructions of the ambulance operator as they tried to perform CPR to get Sara’s heart beating again.
A statement was read out from a paramedic who arrived to find Sara downstairs on the kitchen counter – where her family were performing CPR.
The paramedics took over and then took Sara to an ambulance as they continued trying to resuscitate her.
They went to the hospital with Sara and her mother, but sadly she could not be saved.
Miss Thistlethwaite recorded a conclusion of accidental death.
She said: ‘No concerns were raised by the police following an inspection of the scene.’
Source: Read Full Article