Simon Cowell admits ITV X Factor salaries were ‘ridiculous’ and ‘out of whack’
9th April 2022

Simon Cowell has reflected on The X Factor and admitted that the judges were paid "ridiculous" salaries.

In an exclusive interview with The Sun, Simon told the paper that the salaries he gave to the likes of Cheryl and Dannii Minogue were "out of whack".

Simon, 62, fronted the popular ITV talent show from 2004 until 2018, when it was axed.

The singing competition would pull in around five million viewers every Saturday night – something that has proven to be a tough feat for other programmes on the channel.

He told the paper: "The salaries got out of whack. I’d be a hypocrite if I said I hadn’t made a lot of money."

Simon added that it got "too crazy" before touching upon the format of the show.

In his candid chat with the paper he revealed that if the show was to make a comeback, he would want to do some things differently.

He admitted that he'd want to "go back to basics" because adding new formats to the show clearly didn't work out.

Speaking about how when the show first began in 2004, Simon explained how it was "very simple" and had "unique elements" which made it what it was.

He then added: "I’d argue you can’t make a better music show than that".

On the show potentially returning in the future, the music mogul revealed that he wants people to feel excited about the show returning, because "if you’re going to go to a party, have an invitation".

The X Factor has been responsible for paving the careers of many successful music artists.

From One Direction to Little Mix, JLS to Olly Murs, and Stacey Solomon to Fleur East – the ITV singing competition gave so much to the music industry.

Simon's slight hint that The X Factor might return comes after Pop Idol, a show Simon judged on, is rumoured to make a comeback.

Last month rumours swirled that ITV had "entered talks" to "reboot" the popular noughties singing competition.

Original creator of Pop Idol, Simon Fuller, was reportedly involved in the talks with ITV.

Reports say that a TV special could potentially air in the autumn of 2023, which will commemorate 20 years since it was last on our screens.

ITV told Daily Star directly that "absolutely nothing is confirmed" but added that "it would be unlikely to return as a full series" – which still gives fans hope for an epic spin-off.

For more of the latest showbiz and TV news from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article