TOTTENHAM will be in action this week but not against the opposition they expected.
Jose Mourinho's men will now face Fulham at home, rather than Aston Villa away.
Why are Tottenham playing Fulham instead of Aston Villa?
Aston Villa last week confirmed 14 positive Covid cases.
This forced them to field their development squad in their FA Cup 3rd round match against Liverpool – a tie they lost 4-1.
However, while FA Cup rules deem a match to be forfeited if one club can't field a team, the Premier League allows matches to be moved to a latter date in the event of a Covid outbreak.
This was exactly what happened with Tottenham's match against Fulham, which was initially scheduled for December 30.
And Jose Mourinho was left fuming at the prospect of another postponement.
The Special One even suggested his side could refuse to play Villa at a later date if they are forced into a situation like at the beginning of the season, where they played eight games in three weeks due to Europa League commitments.
Mourinho's comments appear to have forced the Premier League to act and they have moved the Fulham game to Wednesday night – the date the Villa match was supposed to happen.
When will Aston Villa vs Tottenham be played now?
- No rearranged date has been found yet for Aston Villa vs Tottenham.
- A date could conceivably be found on the midweek commencing Monday, February 8, when no Premier League football is scheduled to take place.
When is Tottenham vs Fulham?
- Tottenham vs Fulham takes place on Wednesday, January 11.
- Kick-off is at 8.15pm at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
- Fulham vs Chelsea has now been moved from Friday, January 15 to Saturday, January 16 at 5.30pm.
Source: Read Full Article