- Lilian Jojua has been slapped with a six-month medical suspension following her UFC 254 loss Saturday.
- An Octagonside doctor called off Jojua's flyweight match on Fight Island after Miranda Maverick landed an elbow strike which opened up a wide and weeping gash on her nose.
- Post-fight photographs showed Jojua with a stitched-up nose and a blood-splattered uniform.
- Should she get medically cleared by an ear, nose, and throat doctor then the suspension would be reduced to 60 days with no fight and a mandatory 45 days on the sidelines from no contact training.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A UFC fighter has been slapped with a six-month medical suspension after suffering a nose so bloodied a doctor called off her fight.
Lilian Jojua fought in the Fight Island finale on Saturday, October 24 in Abu Dhabi, but only competed for one round before the Octagonside doctor had seen enough.
Jojua's opponent, Miranda Maverick, opened a wide and weeping gash on her nose with an elbow strike UFC boss Dana White later called "nasty."
Post-fight photographs showed Jojua stitched-up and with a blood-splattered uniform following the flyweight match at the behind-closed-doors Flash Forum.
MMA Fighting reported Tuesday that Jojua will be sidelined for half a year.
However, should she get a medical clearance from an ear, nose, and throat doctor, then it would be reduced to a 60-day suspension with a mandatory 45 days on the sidelines with no contact training.
UFC 254 was headlined by the lightweight championship match between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje, which the champion, Nurmagomedov, won by second-round submission.
Both 155-pounders have been ordered to take seven days' rest.
Nurmagomedov, though, has retired and said he will never again compete in professional fighting.
Source: Read Full Article