Millions of Brit households can apply for £600 energy bill support in weeks
26th August 2023

Brit households might be able to receive energy bill support in weeks.

Those eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment automatically qualify for the Pensioner Cost of Living Payment this winter.

It's separate from the £900 payment for those on University Credit and other benefits.

READ MORE: People rush to buy Amazon's best-selling mascara that's slashed to just £3.95

The winter fuel payment is usually worth between £100 and £300 for those state pension age.

Payments are being boosted by a further £300 through the Pensioner Cost of Living Payment.

To secure the money, some households will need to apply for the support.

Postal applications open on September 18 and applications by phone open from October 4.

To qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment and Pensioner Cost of Living Payment, you must be:

  • Born on or before September 25, 1957
  • Have lived in the UK for at least one day during the week of September 18-24, 2023

If you don't live in the UK during the qualifying week, you might be able to receive the payment if:

  • You live in Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • You have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK – either having lived or worked and having family in the UK

You can't receive the payment if you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK.

And you won't get it if you're in hospital for more than a year getting free treatment.

  • GCSE students can bag free pizza at Frankie and Benny's to celebrate results day

You don't need to claim Winter Fuel Payment, you will automatically receive it if you're eligible.

If you have not received a Winter Fuel Payment before, you only need to claim if any of the following apply:

  • You do not get benefits or the State Pension
  • The only benefit you get is Adult Disability Payment from the Scottish Government, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit
  • You live in Switzerland or an EEA country

If you have got a Winter Fuel Payment before, you only need to claim if since your last payment you have either:

  • Deferred your State Pension
  • Moved to Switzerland or an EEA country

If you do need to claim you can do so by phone or by post.

It should be distributed with the usual Winter Fuel Payments from November 1.

Most people are paid in November and December but contact the payment centre if it hasn't landed by January 26, 2024.

For more information, visit the GOV.UK website.

Want all the biggest Lifestyle news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Hot Topics newsletter

Source: Read Full Article