How to make your own Nando’s! As the high-street chain runs out of chicken, FEMAIL reveals how to make your own PERi-PERi dishes at home (and the secret is to bake AND grill it)
- PERi-PERi fans across the country have been left disappointed after high street favourite Nando’s has been forced to shut almost 75 restaurants in the UK
- Social media users have whipped up their own versions using tasty spice-mixes
- Here, FEMAIL reveal Nando’s recipe for making the chicken dishes at home
PERi-PERi fans across the country have been left disappointed after high street favourite Nando’s has been forced to shut almost 75 restaurants due to a nationwide chicken shortage due to a staffing crisis of HGV drivers caused the the pingdemic.
The popular Portuguese food chain said it will provide 70 staff to its suppliers’ factories in a desperate bid to temporarily restore normal levels of food deliveries and reopen its affected restaurants, but those open have been forced to take some items off the menu, including their popular PERi-PERi wings.
Unable to get to their regular chicken fix, savvy social media users have whipped up their own versions at home using tasty spice-mixes and pre-made sauces.
Those that are less culinary-inclined can pick up Nando’s sauces, rubs, and meal packs in most supermarkets to enjoy a PERi-PERi creation at home.
While, others who may want to get more adventurous in the kitchen can mix chillis, thyme, and salt to make their own marinade.
Unable to get to their regular chicken fix, savvy social media users have whipped up their own versions at home using tasty spice-mixes and pre-made sauces. Pictured is one social media users attempt at Nando’s
A cheesy side! One social media user whipped up grilled chicken with halloumi and sweetcorn on the side
A feast! Another whipped up Nando’s-style chicken with macho peas, chips and garlic Peri-Peri sauce
That’s a wrap! Another made a version of Nando’s popular wraps served with corn on the cob and wedges
Last year, Nando’s released a step-by-step guide to their famous PERi-PERi chicken thighs, spicy rice and macho peas during an Instagram live when their restaurants were forced to shut in lockdown.
Hosted by Nando’s head of food Tim Molema, live from his kitchen, with singer Jgrrey following his instructions, the live stream promised a fun hour of cooking the marinated thighs and rice,.
In order to cook their famous PERi-PERi- chicken thighs, spicy rice and macho peas, Tim advised to have the boneless chicken thighs marinated overnight in the Nando’s sauce of your choosing to give it their unmistakable taste.
He advised to get chicken the Nando’s way, the secret was to bake it in the oven then finish it off in a hot grill pan.
Fancy trying it yourself? Here, FEMAIL reveals how to make Nando’s chicken at home if your local branch is closed.
NANDO’S BONELESS CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE
- 125g bottle of PERi-PERi Sauce (choose your flavour)
- 12 boneless chicken thighs, skin on
- To serve Your favourite Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
Last year, Nando’s released a step-by-step guide to their famous PERi-PERi chicken thighs, spicy rice and macho peas during an Instagram live when their restaurants were forced to shut in lockdown. Pictured are their PERi-PERi thighs
- 400g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3-4 springs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 good pinches of dried red chilli flakes (add more if you like it hot)
Nando’s mix their peas with fresh parsley sprigs and fresh mint, as well as olive oil and butter to give it their famous creamy consistency (pictured: Nando’s macho peas)
NANDO’S SPICY RICE RECIPE
- 200g Basmatri rice
- 450ml Cold Water
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 small green chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/2 cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
Tim also revealed how to make Nando’s spicy rice (pictured), which involves a green chilli, ground tumeric, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika
And if you can’t get your hands on Nando’s premade sauce… try SORTEDFOOD’s Piri-Piri chicken
SORTEDfood – YouTube is an online food community with more than three million followers, dedicated to making delicious food accessible to everyone.
Here, they share their recipe for Piri-Piri chicken with FEMAIL…
SORTEDfood – YouTube is an online food community with more than three million followers, dedicated to making delicious food accessible to everyone. Here, they share their recipe for Piri-Piri chicken with FEMAIL…
- 4 cloves garlic
- 160 ml olive oil
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 fresh chillies (to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 small chicken
- 1 handful mixed salad leaves
- 1 portion chunky chips
MAKE THE MARINADE
CUT THE CHICKEN
2. Cut either side of the backbone with a pair of sharp shears and then remove the diamond-shaped breast bone from inside the cavity.
RUB OVER THE MARINADE
3. Open the chicken up like a book and rub the marinade all over, inside and out. Leave in the fridge overnight if you can.
PREHEAT THE OVEN
4.Preheat oven to 180°C.
ROAST THE CHICKEN
5. Lay the spatchcock chicken on a baking tray and roast for about an hour until cooked right through and there are no signs of blood at the thickest parts of the bird. Check by cutting into a leg joint.
SERVE WITH CHIPS!
6. Serve with plenty of fresh salad and some chunky chips. Serves 2-4
Source: Read Full Article