A panicked dog owner has sent out a warning this Christmas after a mince pie almost killed her adorable pooch.
Lucie Coffey, 33, was in another room when miniature Dachshund Beatrice hopped on to the mantelpiece and devoured the Christmas treat.
The healthcare worker, of Shrewsbury, Shrops., found the animal looking uneasy on the sofa and saw the mince pie’s empty foil casing.
The mum knew raisins are poisonous for dogs so rushed her pet to the vets.
Beatrice was given an injection to induce vomiting and then activated charcoal to reduce the chances of harmful toxins from the raisins being absorbed.
Fortunately she made a full recovery in time for Christmas last year but vets have warned that her greediness could have cause fatal kidney failure.
All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs and the dried fruits cause severe illness.
Lucie said: "It was my nine-year-old daughter Grace who’d left it out then went up to bed.
"So I had to get my sister to come round while I trekked off to the vets.
"We were there about three hours getting everything checked out and tested.
"I couldn’t have lived with myself if we hadn’t taken her to get checked out and something was badly wrong.
"A dog is part of your family and I would have been devastated if anything had happened to her.
"Santa’s mince pie is definitely staying outside with the carrot for Rudolph at the back door – out of harm’s way."
Beatrice was treated at Vets Now, an out-of-hours emergency service for pets.
Laura Playforth, head of veterinary standards at Vets Now, said: "Our vets and vet nurses treated dozens of dogs last year who had eaten mince pies left out for Santa and we are expecting similar this year.
"That’s why it’s important to raise awareness that the raisins in mince pies are toxic to dogs.
"Normally symptoms start showing between six and 24 hours after the dog has eaten grapes or raisins.
"But these may not take effect for several days and in the most serious cases, the fruits can also cause sudden kidney failure.
"The good news is the prognosis for grape and raisin toxicity is generally good if treated early and there’s been no kidney damage.
"If you think your dog has eaten grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants, or anything containing them, you should telephone your vet immediately or, out of hours, your nearest Vets Now pet emergency clinic."
Source: Read Full Article