But who is he and what's the story behind the character? Here's everything you need to know.
Who is Jack Frost and is he the same as Old Man Winter?
Jack Frost is the personification of winter and all it entails – such as frost, ice, snow, sleet and freezing cold temperatures.
He is a variant of Old Man Winter, also known as Father Winter, who is held responsible for frosty weather, nipping the extremities, such as the nose and toes, colouring the leaves in autumn, and leaving patterns on frosted windows come winter.
More developed depictions of Jack Frost first started in late 19th century literature, where he was shown as sprite-like character – sometimes appearing as if he was up to no good and sometimes as a hero.
In some cultures, he is portrayed as a dangerous giant and it is thought that the character may originate from Anglo-Saxon and Norse winter customs.
What movies have there been about Jack Frost?
Many films have included versions of Jack Frost and the personification of winter – and he has featured as both the hero and the villain.
Appearances in movies include:
- Jack Frost – 1964 – a Russian film with title Morozko (the Russian equivalent of Jack Frost).
- Jack Frost – 1997 – Jack Frost is a serial killer who turns into a snowman and continues his rampage.
- Jack Frost – 1998 – Michael Keaton plays a human by the name of Jack Frost, who is killed in a car-crash on Christmas Eve, he returns the next year as a snowman and spends time with his son.
- Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman – 2000 – The 1997 movie spawned a sequel, which starred a serial killer version of Jack Frost.
- The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause – 2006 – In this portrayal, Jack Frost wants to claim Christmas as “Frostmas” as he is jealous of the attention and popularity of Santa Claus.
- Rise of the Guardians – 2012 – voiced by Chris Pine, Jack Frost appears as a teenage boy protagonist who is suddenly forced to join the Guardians to defeat the Boogeyman.
Source: Read Full Article