Brit tourist, 35, missing for two nights after falling into sea during ‘drunken’ speedboat trip in Thailand

A BRIT tourist has been missing for TWO NIGHTS after falling into the sea during a "drunken" speedboat trip around a Thai island.

The 35-year-old and four friends hired the sightseeing vessel to go snorkelling in waters around Koh Samui in Surat Thani, southern Thailand on Monday.

But the boat’s captain, Chaktham Jaijong, 23, claims he made repeated warnings for the group, of four lads and one woman, not to sit on the bow without life jackets – which he says they ignored.

Chaktham said the group – which he claims was already drunk when he collected them earlier in the day – refused to move to the passenger seats inside.

It is understood the man was flung into the water while the group were returning back to the island a couple of hours before sunset, at around 4pm local time.

Police, coastguards and fishing boats have now been searching for the holidaymaker since without success.

The boat's captain, who has been quizzed by police, added: “They didn’t listen to me when I told them to sit properly because it was very dangerous to sit on the boat’s head.

“They looked very angry, so I didn’t want to keep bothering them, so I just let them sit there.”

Chaktham said that he had taken the group on a trip from Koh Samui to Koh Tean, which is also surrounded by several small uninhabited islands.


But with wind and choppy seas hitting the boat when they returned, he is said to have lost his balance and fell into the sea in front of his friends.

Chaktham told police he stopped the boat and sailed around the area where he believed the man had disappeared.

He was still not found after three hours of searching with help from nearby fishermen.

The rest of the tourists were dropped off at the island of Koh Samui before the boat captain reported the missing man to the sheriff and the police.

Officials spent another two hours looking for the tourist before they decided to delay the search due to the windy climate and the darkness.

The operation with Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation help, including rescuers and divers, resumed at 9.30am the following day.

Police Major Worasak Akarakul, the inspector of Koh Samui police station, said today that they had still not found the missing man.

He said: ‘"Officers have questioned the boat captain and the owner of the vessel. Their statements will form part of the investigation.

"Rescue teams are co-operating to search for the tourist and all vessels in the area have been notified alerted.’’

Source: Read Full Article