Gene Frenkle from Blue Oyster Cult
Wait just a minute — you have gotta have more cowbell!
It’s tough to find an “SNL” viewer who doesn’t love Ferrell’s portrayal of cowbell player Gene Frenkle, who lent his aggressive playing to a recording of “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper.” Frenkle was not real, but Ferrell played him so well that actual band members later related they were occasionally asked about Frenkle.
As with most of Ferrell’s memorable characters, the key was how he interacted with the rest of the cast, in particular guest host Christopher Walken, who played a fictional music producer. Walken’s egotistical yet understated direction, combined with Ferrell’s energetic strutting, led to the sketch that is gut-bustingly hilarious, even more than 20 years after it first aired.
In fact, now I got a fever, and the only prescription is … more cowbell! And more Will Ferrell.
- Spelling Bee musical wins 3 Betty Awards
- Stewart: I 'got really close' with Hemsworth
- Zsa Zsa Gabor still in hospital
- Bieber tossed from B.C. laser tag centre
- Rolling Stones' tour plans pushed to 2013
- Dave Grohl fumes, 'Not everyone adores 'Glee'
- Oprah snags first Rielle Hunter TV interview
- Fashgasm 27.5.2011
- Jessica Simpson is a mom... to a new dog
- Nuts! Dr. Phil helped with own vasectomy
Submited at Friday, July 30th, 2010 at 12:00 am on Movies by ethan
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback