Pope Benedict XVI has joined Twitter, sending his first tweet Tuesday.
“Dear Friends, I just launched News.va Praised be our Lord Jesus Christ! With my prayers and blessings, Benedictus XVI,” he wrote to launch his Twitter service to the faithful.
The Vatican is beginning a bid for young hearts and minds with a new website and a thrust into social media, including Twitter updates, YouTube videos, Flickr pics and Facebook links on news.va.
A video posted on YouTube shows the 84-year-old Pope tapping his first Twitter message onto an iPad, while a cardinal helps him navigate the new website.
The site features the Vatican colours — white and yellow — and brings together information from the Vatican’s radio, tv and print outlets as well as news from the developing world from the Fides missionary news agency.
A tweet posted Wednesday directs readers to the Pope’s homily for the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul. So far, the pontiff has more than 41,000 Twitter followers.
The Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Social Communications directed the site’s launch with the help of Madrid-based digital media company 101, which designed and developed the site.
The site’s launch comes as the Pope celebrates the 60th anniversary of his ordination into priesthood.
Back to accessibility links
- CHUM ex-president gets OK for 4 HD channels
- Lace trim poncho: daily discovery
- Miss Mexico crowned Miss Universe
- Filmmaker Ronald Neame dies at 99
- Growing pains in Montreal's cultural redevelopment
- Young 'Harry Potter' fans quiz Radcliffe, co-stars
- Harry Potter fans brave wind, rain for premiere
- Accused teen music hacker issues apology
- Houston probe focuses on prescriptions, behavior
- New cafe, carpark for War Memorial visitors
Submited at Thursday, June 30th, 2011 at 2:00 am on Arts by Alina
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback